The Lido on the Leidseplein in Amsterdam is a concept for many people. The history of the building goes back to 1884. The Lido, “The Lido, derived from the Latin word 'Litus', which means 'shore' or 'beach wall', owes its special name to its location. After all, at the time it was a beautiful mansion on the quay overlooking the Vondelpark. A few years later, the building was converted into a restaurant with a terrace. Horeca tycoon Charles Winkels turned it into a successful catering concept by presenting the Lido as a Grand Café with a terrace on the water. After its closure in 1963, it became the home of the Amsterdam Student Corps, which founded the society 'Nos lungit Amicitia' and the Lido Café.